By Don Goble and Jonathan Rogers
What You Need To Know about Teaching Real News and the Media “Crisis”
1. 32% of people trust the mass media, which is an all time low according to a recent Gallup Poll
2. Most students don’t know when news is real, sponsored or fake according to a recent Stanford study
3. Divisive politics, sponsored content, and opinion-driven social media are the main reasons for the corrosion or lack of trust according to the Gallup poll.
4. Teens and people are getting their news through social media on their phones. Facebook is Eating the World – Columbia Journalism Review
5. The “maturing” of social media could provide more trust in the mass media – Gallup
Getting Real News on Your Phone: Lesson by Jonathan Rogers