Editor Positions for High School Journalism Web Staffs
I’m currently working to setup my staffs for next year. Things aren’t usually exactly the same from one year to the next when it comes to planning and organization. There are just too many factors at play from changing technology and goals of the student journalists to skillsets of the editors I have in place and number of students who have been selected for editor positions.
While things still could change over summer, these are some of the web positions and job descriptions that I will have in play for my editor team this coming year. While many students are in an hour dedicated to a web staff, not all are. I see that as ok as there are web ambassadors in my other staff hours who can all speak to the web and promote it since web content generation is a part of every staff member’s job description.
FHNtoday.com and FHNgameday.com Web Editor Positions and Job Descriptions
- Editor-In-Chief – Oversees all aspects of FHN Media advertising, FHNtoday,com, FHNgameday.com and @FHNtoday social accounts. Oversees daily operations of the staff. Sets calendars. Helps editors as needed. Keeps group focused on goals and moving forward. The EIC will work most directly with the FHNtoday.com and FHNgameday.com editors to ensure quality content is appearing frequently on the web platforms.
- Managing Editor – The ME will oversee directly oversee the program’s social media accounts and the technical aspects of the staff’s web presence. This will include ensuring that the sites look good and are maintained appropriately. The ME will also work to help train staffers on the technical aspects of the web. The ME of web will oversee analytic tracking and in-house promotion of that data.
- FHNtoday.com Editor – The FHNtoday.com Editor will work to help assign stories for the web and oversee the copy editing system for FHNtoday.com. Part of what the FHNtoday.com Editor will do is help coach writers with their stories at the beginning of the process and ensure it’s edited at the end. The Copy Editor will also be responsible for ensuring staffers get feedback on their stories.
- FHNgameday.com Editor – The FHNgameday.com Editor will work to help assign stories for the web and oversee the copy editing system for FHNgameday.com. Part of what the FHNgameday.com Editor will do is help coach writers with their stories at the beginning of the process and ensure it’s edited at the end. The Copy Editor will also be responsible for ensuring staffers get feedback on their stories.
- Chief Photographer and Youtube Manager – Editor in charge of the videography. Oversees the equipment, works with new tools and tips and tricks. The Chief Photographer will also oversee the staff’s Youtube page.
- Livestream Producer – Editor in charge of all live stream broadcasts. Editor will oversee staffing, production and promotion of live broadcasts.
- Podcast Producer and Video Social Media Editor – Oversees production and publishing of the monthly podcast. Responsible for anchors, scripting and content. Any staff or publication vlogs will also be overseen by the Podcast Producer. The editor will also be responsible for helping to develop and execute a social media video promotion plan for the staff.
- Web Photography Editor – This editor will oversee all aspects of photo publishing to the web. The editor will ensure galleries are posted in a timely fashion, train staffers on how to properly format and include featured images and provide all other necessary training as it relates to images on the web.