What students should be able to do
An interesting, pseudo-related blog post I read yesterday from a college teacher of new media who is trying to sort out what her students should be able to do. Here was a list she and her colleagues came up with:
- Write a 12-inch story (400–450 words) in AP print style w/ Web-appropriate head, subheads and suitable hyperlink(s).
- Create a 2-minute audio clip with clear nat sound, narration and interview material, edited digitally and compressed for the Web.
- Shoot, edit and compress a video of 2 min. 30 sec.
- Create and maintain a single-subject blog for at least eight weeks (minimum 16 posts), with at least two posts per week.
- Create a 1:30 to 2 min. Soundslides presentation that tells a coherent journalistic story.